McAfee built a system of automated testers which continually patrol the Web to browse sites, download files, and enter information on sign-up forms.
With this information they can tell you:
- E-mail practices of the website
- They rate sites based on both how much e-mail they send as well as how the e-mail received looks. Does it look like spam or not?
- SiteAdvisor checks the impact of the site's downloadable software.
- Does the software on the site have any viruses?
- Online Affiliations
- Does the site try to redirect you to a site that may cause harm to your clients?
- Is your site a "feeder" site?
- If your site has links to too many suspicious sites, it will be flagged.
- Does this site use a lot of pop-ups?
- Does this site request to change the user's home page or favorites list?
- Does it try to use 3rd party tracking cookies?
- Does this site threaten the security of the user’s machine?
- Is there software on the site that may be dangerous to a user?
- Is the website trying to use a browser's security vulnerability to install software
McAfee also allows users to add comment and reviews for a site.
There is also a plug-in for Firefox available.
More information on McAfee SiteAdvisor is available here.